Sunday, August 9, 2026

Let's Watch This: An Episode of "Dog City"

NOTE: Please do not take any of the little nitpicks in this review (or any of my other reviews, for that matter) seriously. I write these reviews in the hopes of making people laugh. Those nitpicks are really just dumb little observations that I'm attempting to make jokes out of, not complaints that add to whether or not I like something.

This is the first review I wrote after I went on hiatus earlier this year. Yes, even though I wasn't POSTING on this blog, I was still WRITING posts - see, I like to write my blog posts in advance and then just choose which one I want to post which week, but in February I was pretty behind. I needed to take the hiatus to get back up to speed. When I first started this blog, I probably thought it'd be easy. Just watch a cartoon and do funny commentary on it. Other people online do it, so how hard could it be?

Oh, how wrong I was. It's actually really hard to write a funny review of something. I'm constantly cringing at the reviews I've already posted and thinking there aren't nearly enough jokes in them. And those are just the reviews that actually made it onto the site!

I have a very long list of cartoon shows and animated movies that I tried to write a review of, but wound up scrapping because I wasn't getting enough joke material out of them. Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!, Kick Buttowski, ALF: The Animated Series, Heathcliff and the Cadillac Cats, Skippy: Adventures in Bushtown, CB Bears, The Cleveland Show, I can go on and on. I find episodes of the show online, I watch 'em, I try to make jokes, but I can't think of anything funny and I have no idea why. Is it me? Am I just not funny? Or are the shows just not giving me anything to work with? You'd think a cartoon about ROBOT MONKEYS FIGHTING CRIME would give me something, so I'm guessing it's the first one.

I needed something to get me out of this slump. I've found that the hardest cartoons to make jokes out of are the ones that are either just okay or mediocre. And, unfortunately, a lot of really obscure cartoon shows out there - y'know, the ones that I review for this blog - fall into one of those categories. I needed to review something really bad. Something infamous for its crappiness. Problem is, every cartoon show like that I've either already looked at (The Wacky World of Tex Avery, Fish Hooks, Pig Goat Banana Cricket) or have sworn not to touch with a ten foot pole (I'm not rewatching Fanboy and Chum-Chum). So I had to do something else. And y'know what? Sometimes, if you can't find something really bad, you could review something that you already know that you like. If you're already familiar with the characters and plots, it might be easier to think of jokes to make about 'em. Maybe. I don't know.

So, what is Dog City?

Well, it got its start as a TV special that aired as part of The Jim Henson Hour in 1989. The special took place in a city populated by anthropomorphic dogs (natch) and focused on a dog detective named Ace Yu who faces off against mobsters. You can currently find it on YouTube if you'd like to watch it yourself.

I guess the folks at the Jim Henson Company really liked how the special turned out, because they decided to make a Dog City cartoon show as well. However, the show had very little in common with the special aside from the whole "dog detective in a world of anthropomorphic pets" premise. Ace Yu was now Ace Hart (voiced by Ron White), private eye, who faced off against such foes as crime boss Bugsy Vile (voiced by John Stocker) and German-accented Baron Von Rottweiler (Stephen Ouimette). Ace was usually helped in his adventures by love interest Rosie O'Gravy (Elizabeth Hanna) and kid sidekick Eddie (Stuart Stone).

But what really made the show unique was that it had puppets in addition to the animated characters. In-universe, the creator of Ace Hart was a canine animator named Elliot Shag, puppeteered by Kevin Clash of Elmo fame, who would illustrate the episodes as they happened (not how animation works, I know, but just go with it) and interact with Ace. It was sort of like Duck Amuck, except as a cartoon show. Premiering on Fox Kids in September 1992, three seasons of the show and a total of thirty-one episodes were produced. The animation was handled by Nelvana.

After hearing about Dog City online years prior, I discovered that the show could be found on Tubi and decided to give it a watch. And y'know what? I found myself liking it. And I've found that I usually have better luck with writing funny reviews when they're of something I already know that I like than something I've never seen before. So guess what we're reviewing today?

After going through a couple episodes of the show's first season, I decided to review the eleventh episode, "Rocketship K-9". We start off with Ace climbing up a bridge so he can save three innocent puppies playing in a sandbox teetering on the top. I guess the OSHA doesn't have any juristriction in Dog City.

Hurry, Ace! If Cooler gets hurt (c'mon, you can't tell me that white puppy in the grey shirt
doesn't look like Cooler), they'll have to cancel Pound Puppies!

Actually, the puppies' being in danger is the work of Baron Von Rottweiler. The fiend! Fortunately, he is dealt with very easily by his dimwitted assistant fetching the dynamite that he was going to use to blow up the bridge... which instead goes off in front of him. The sandbox falls off the bridge anyway but lands safely in the water, no puppies are harmed, and Baron Von Rottweiler is arrested by literal police dogs.

He's going from the doghouse to the big house.

The day is saved, and the words "THE END" appear on the screen. I know what you're thinking: "Gee, that was a very short episode." But in actuality, the actual episode isn't over yet - we just caught the tail end (no pun intended) of an episode of the in-universe Ace Hart show.

Ace talks to Elliot about how the episode turned out. It's never made clear if Elliot is actually interacting with a sentient cartoon character or if it's all just in his imagination. I prefer to believe that it's the first one, mostly because it's a lot cooler that way.

"So, what's the next episode gonna be about?"

"Well, I just got hired to work on an animated movie called Foodfight!. The studio wants
you to be in it, but they're changing your name to 'Dex Dogtective' and you're gonna be in CGI."

"...Elliot, are you sure about this?"

"What's to worry about? It's not like the film's gonna be a poorly-animated, unfunny mess
filled with product placement, ethnic stereotypes, and jokes totally inappropriate for a children's
movie. I'm sure this Lawrence Kasanoff guy knows what he's doing..."

Elliot admits that he's not quite sure what the next episode of the show is gonna be about. He needs a little inspiration. Boy, I know how that feels. Except that I'm not an animator, I'm just some schmuck who writes reviews of cartoons. Not the same thing at all.

Just then, who should pop in the door but Artie (puppeteered by Joey Mazzarino), Elliot's number one fan and the character who inspired Eddie. From the way he's dressed, I assume that he's going to a sci-fi convention.

"Take me to your kibble!"

Apparently, Artie has gotten hooked on this show called Moon Doggies of New Litter, and he is indeed on his way to a fan club convention. He invites Elliot to come along, but as Elliot puts it, "Ace Hart comes first."

Next, in barges the superintendent of the building where Elliot lives, Bruno (Brian Muehl), and his dimwitted assistant Bowser (David Rudman). Bruno is freaking out because he thinks Moon Doggies are invading their planet, and Elliot has to explain to him that the "Moon Doggies" he's seen are just fans of a TV show and that there are no such things as aliens. Talking dogs, sure, but ALIENS? Poppycock!

Bruno here is in-universe the inspiration for Bugsy Vile. In fact, the puppet used for him is the very same puppet used in the original Dog City special for the main villain, Bugsy Them. Not only that, but Elliot's puppet is the same puppet used for the special's Ace Yu (who was ALSO performed by Kevin Clash!). Neat, huh?

"And why is everyone singin' about how 'they don't talk about' me?! Sayin' that I've got
a seven-foot frame and rats along my back?!"

Then when Artie emerges from the bathroom in his Moon Doggy getup, Bruno immediately forgets what Elliot said and panics. Clearly Bruno is a few sodas short of a six-pack. After Artie leaves, Elliot is inspired to do an outer space episode. "This is a detective show, kid! I catch bad dogs, not little green mutts!" Ace complains. I'm kind of with Ace - when you send your characters into outer space, it's a pretty big sign that you've jumped the shark. Remember how ridiculous it was when Josie and the Pussycats went into outer space?

But Elliot is insistent, imagining a parody of War of the Worlds where Ace is pursued by UFOS shooting laser beams.

I bet the aliens are from Pluto. Get it? 'Cause that's the name of another cartoon dog?

"ELLIOT, CALL 'EM OFF!" Ace begs as he runs from the aliens. He's also not impressed when he sees that the invading aliens look like giant bugs. Again, I have to agree - aliens looking like bugs isn't very original. Although, as someone who is terrified of bugs, I will admit that it's a great way to make aliens look creepier.

"Can't you at least draw me a can of Raid to deal with 'em or something?"

Elliot agrees to do the show Ace's way because he doesn't have the time to argue over it. So Ace finds himself back in his office, relaxing, not having to deal with extraterrestrials... or should that be extra-terrier-strials?




Does anyone else hear crickets chirping?

Well, anyway, these two big dogs in trenchcoats and fedoras barge in and tell Ace that "Uncle Sparky" wants him. He is taken to the Cape Carnivorous Space Centre and meets a rocket scientist named Wormer Von Hound, who looks like Professor Farnsworth but as a dog. Like, eerily so. Did Matt Groening watch this episode?

"Good news, everyone! I have a fursona!"

Y'know how we've actually sent dogs to space before? Well, the canines in Dog City are one step ahead of us: they've sent dogs to the MOON! But, according to Von Hound, when doggy astronaut Heel Arfstrong landed on the moon, he was promptly attacked by aliens. Ha ha, Ace, Elliot managed to sneak science fiction into the episode after all!

And since this episode involves aliens, I suppose I'm gonna have to include that clip from Bolt somewhere in the review, so here it is:

So now Von Hound wants to send another "astromutt" to the moon. And you'd think sending Ace into space against his will instead of, y'know, an actual "astromutt" would be a dumb idea, wouldn't you? And you'd expect that Von Hound wants to do exactly that because the plot demands it, wouldn't you? Well, you'd be wrong! Actually, Von Hound just wants Ace to find out who's been stealing their office supplies. It's really getting out of hand.

But Ace isn't stupid. When he sees a rocket outside, he tells Elliot, "I know where this is goin'. Somehow, you're gonna get me into that rocket and blasted off, right?" "Why, no, Ace," Elliot claims. "Whatever makes you think THAT?" I do love it when the characters in what I'm reviewing make the jokes for me.

Elliot is shocked to learn that a goofy-looking antennae and nothing more does not a
Teletubby costume make.

The next thing Ace knows, he's inside the rocket. "I hate to do this to him, but someday he'll thank me for it," Elliot says. "I think. And now, the plot thickens!" With his paintbrush, he creates a Russian-accented cat speaking into a walkie-talkie. The cat says that he'll sneak into the rocket, blast off into space, and claim the moon for the felines of Catsylvania. Rule of thumb: if your cartoon show stars dogs and a cat appears in it, chances are the cat will be a bad guy. I think the only cartoon show starring dogs that didn't do this was Puppy Dog Pals.

"And then, I will bottle all of the milk in the Milky Way and bring it back to Earth for the cats
to lap up!"

Unbeknownst to the cat and Ace, somebody else has his eyes on the rocket too. That's right, it's the one and only Bugsy Vile and his gang: Frisky the broad-shouldered chihuaua (James Rankin), Bugsy's dimwitted nephew Bruiser (Howard Jerome), and the psychotic Mad Dog (also Stephen Ouimette). What does Bugsy want with the rocket? Well, he's planning to steal it and make it part of his big criminals-only amusement park, Vile World, the vilest place on Earth.

I hear it's at least more fun than Wesaysoland.

They get into the rocket after Bugsy sticks his credit card in the door... I'm not quite sure how that works, but okay... but they didn't count on Ace being in the rocket. He thinks they stole the office supplies - and if Frisky and Bruiser's taking pencil sharpeners and staplers out of their jackets is any indication, he's on the money. But Bugsy wants the rocket, and he declares that there's nothing Ace can do to stop them from taking it and making a theme park ride out of it.

Of course, he has no idea that the cat from before has somehow gotten into the rocket and is sitting in the captain's seat. He presses the "blast off" button and up the rocket goes.

We have liftoff.

Upon realizing that they're traveling into outer space, all five of the dogs inside the rocket start panicking. "WE ARE HURTLING THROUGH THE COSMOS! GOING TO THE MOOOOOOOOOOOON!" Bugsy exclaims. And not only that, but Frisky thinks he left the stove on! Horror of horrors!

"FREE HUGS!"

Ace points out to Elliot that they agreed on no science fiction crap in this episode. But Elliot found a loophole: blasting Ace to the moon isn't science FICTION, it's science FACT. "Come on, Ace, wouldn't you rahter howl ON the moon than howl AT the moon?" he suggests. I like how Elliot has a mischevious streak. Ace is just lucky Elliot hasn't started redesigning him at random. Otherwise, he could wind up looking like THIS:

Ace's little outer space adventure is interrupted by the return of Bruno and Bowser, who enter wearing pans on their heads and claiming that they're ready for the "Moon Doggies" this time. Apparently, Bruno doesn't even recognize Elliot with that antennae on, because when Elliot tells him that they're not being invaded by aliens, he says that the "Moon Doggy" is trying to "scramble [their] brains". "Someone obviously beat me to it," Elliot mutters.

Bruno also assumes that Elliot's waffle iron is a "Moon Doggy communicator" disguised as a common household appliance. He also sticks his paw on it like an idiot, and when Bowser accidentally turns it on, he winds up in serious pain. No wonder Elliot based one of his characters off of Bruno - he's practically a cartoon character already!

"Hey, don't blame ME. I TOLD you to leggo my Eggo..."

Once Bruno and Bowser leave, Elliot can get back to animating. Von Hound contacts Ace and screams at him for stealing the rocket, but Ace tells him that HE didn't steal it, BUGSY did. Bugsy claims that he's not stealing it either, although that was his original intent. But if HE didn't steal it, WHO did?

Of course, we know it was the cat... or rather, the horrifying dog-like alien he turned into!

"Hi, kids! I'll be seeing you all in your nightmares tonight!"

Ace tells Elliot to get rid of the "sci-fido", and Elliot turns the alien back into the cat. Bugsy and his gang fight the cat, and while this is going on, Ace notices a sign reading "IN CASE OF STUPIDITY, PRESS BUTTON" - a button that I think we ALL could use in this day and age. He presses the button, and the sign slides up to reveal a ray gun, which he promptly zaps the others with. It doesn't kill them, of course - the good guys of 1990s cartoon shows aren't allowed to kill people, for obvious reasons - it just freezes them. And somehow everyone in Dog City has already learned that Ace is going to the moon... I guess news travels fast in Dog City... so Ace can't back out now. It's off to the moon for him!

Ace takes charge, because he's seemingly the only one here with a level head. Bugsy and his gang are willing to listen to him, the cat not so much. He turns on a lunar rover... quick question, why would anthropomorphic dogs design a robot to look like a NON-anthropomorphic dog? I find that confusing...

They're playing "Go Fish". I guess the writers thought having dogs playing poker was too obvious
a joke...

...and gets it to eat Bruiser, Frisky and Mad Dog and fly out of the rocket with them inside it. Don't worry, they pop up in episodes after this, so we know they got back to Earth somehow. Maybe they hitched a ride in a UFO or something.

For some reason, the cat doesn't attempt to get rid of Ace and Bugsy as well. All three of them land on the moon... or at least, what they THINK is the moon. It's actually a hungry alien that's going to eat them for a midnight snack!

"HOW DARE YOU PUNY DOGS DISTURB MY SLUMBER! SAY HELLO TO MY
DIGESTIVE TRACT!
"

"That's ENOUGH, Elliot!" Ace barks. Aw, come on, Ace, let Elliot spice up the episode a little. Alas, Elliot concedes, and the moon changes back to normal. They find the remains of the previous spaceship that brought Heel Arfstrong to the moon. Who could have done this? Why don't we ask the giant robot?

"I claim this moon in the name of the Autobots!"

"ELLIOT! Enough already with the space monsters!" Ace complains, but Elliot tells him that the robot isn't a space monster (another loophole! Elliot is great at finding them). It's being controlled by Baron Von Rottweiler's dimwitted minion from earlier, who takes them to his master's secret air-filled dome on the moon.

Okay, okay, hang on. How did Von Rottweiler escape the police and wind up on the MOON? Did he steal another rocket? Did he manage to contact aliens and have them pick him up? HOW?

See what happens when you deny Elliot the chance to put in aliens, Ace?

Adding to the confusion, after conquering the moon, Von Rottweiler built a doomsday device and is going to blow up the earth with it. Because... I don't know, it obstructs his view of Venus, maybe? He'll only spare the earth if he's allowed to take it over (and get an episode of Ace's show all to himself. You'll have to talk to Elliot about that, Von Rottweiler).

Ace... defeats Von Rottweiler with remarkable ease. Kind of anti-climactic, don't you think?

Hey, Ace, Blue left one of her pawprints on your suit. It must be a clue!

So the day is saved... except that no it's not, because Ace accidentally presses the button that launches the doomsday device. Oh, nice going, Ace. Fortunately, Ace manages to save the earth by telling Von Rottweiler's dimwitted assistant to fetch the missile. Downside: now it's heading for the moon, so now Ace, Von Rottweiler, Bugsy, the cat, and Heel are going to go ker-blooey instead. They all run into the rocket and blast off, grabbing Von Rottweiler's assistant and the lunar rover with Frisky, Bruiser, and Mad Dog in it on the way back to Earth, narrowly avoiding the missile's reaching the moon and blowing it up. The Earth's tides promptly shift, the kid in the DreamWorks logo now has nothing to sit on, and werewolves all over the world (do werewolves exist in a city where everyone is already an anthropomorphic dog?) are vanquished.

Ka-boom.

Ace returns to Earth a hero, and just as Elliot is finishing up the episode, Bruno and Bowser show up with a police dog and tell him to arrest Elliot for being a "Moon Doggy". Fortunately, the cop isn't an idiot, but he IS a fan of the "Moon Doggies", and as a result of that and Artie returning with his pals, Bruno faints.

Elliot has a surprise for Ace. He's going to get the key to the city - but that city isn't Dog City. Suddenly, Ace is sitting in front of a crowd of aliens. "Submitted for your approval... Ace Hart, private eye, dog. He went sniffing for glory in outer space..." Elliot says, doing his best Rod Serling impression. "But he found himself... barking up the wrong tree. A national hero in... the Hydrant Zone." "ELLIOT, GET THEM AWAY FROM MEEEEEEEEEEE!" Ace shrieks. Sorry, Ace, but you can't fight the dog holding the brush.

"Heh heh heh... ain't I a stinker?"

What's the Verdict?

So that's Dog City, and as you might have guessed, the best thing about it is the combination of live action and animation. It's a very unique idea for a show - an animator actually drawing the show as we watch it and interacting with the main character - and allows for a lot of great jokes. But the animated segments... y'know, the actual cartoon... are fun as well. Nicely animated, cool characters, good voice acting, and and I like how, unlike Fish Police, they actually utilize the fact that the characters aren't human. You don't get that much of it in this specific episode, but the show actually uses the characters being dogs to do some unique gags and storylines. For example, the first episode is about Ace trying to find who's stealing everybody's squeaky toys.

What's my main problem with the show? Well, in Season 3 things sort of got away from the Ace Hart stuff. Suddenly every episode had the stories interrupted by a segment starring some other character, including some that weren't even from Ace's show. I don't care about Artie's toy rabbit or the cat thief who outwits the dumb dog security guard, I came here for Ace Hart. Couldn't you at least put these segments in after Ace's storyline has wrapped up? Nonetheless, I still highly recommend checking out Dog City. Seek it out if you haven't already.

Rating: Four flea collars out of five. A doggone good cartoon.

This review is brought to you by...

A Taste of Amphibia specializes in dishes from the land of anthropomorphic frogs, toads and newts. Do you have a craving for pillbug pancakes? We've got you covered. Been a while since you've eaten a beetle burger? We've got it on the menu. Want some swamp mold pot pie? We've got that too.

But don't take OUR word for it. Here are some actual quotes from previous diners at our establishment...

"The food at A Taste of Amphibia is really something to sing about! I eat there at least once a month!"
- Michigan J. Frog

"When I'm merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily on my way to nowhere in particular and I find myself craving home cooking, I seek out A Taste of Amphibia! The food is so good! I particularly recommend the dung beetle scones!"
- J. Thaddeus Toad

We also reached out to the Hypnotoad for comment, but after he finished his meal, he wouldn't say anything. He just sat there doing that weird thing with his eyes. After we snapped out of his trance, we decided not to push our luck.

So come to one of A Taste of Amphibia's four locations around the United States (we used to have seven locations, but it turns out not a lot of amphibians in Hawaii, Alaska, and Utah want to eat bugs, nor are there any people in those states who want to eat bugs) and chow down! C'mon, hop to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment